The Ethical Meat Handbook - 2nd Edition
From sourcing to butchery, mindful meat eating for the modern omnivore. A delicious alternative to the status quo when it comes to how we farm, cook and eat.
In this 2nd edition of The Ethical Meat Handbook, Meredith Leigh argues that by assuming responsibility for the food on our fork and the route by which it gets there, animals can be an optimal source of food, fiber, and environmental management. This new edition covers:
- Integrating animals into your garden or homestead
- Sourcing honest meat and understanding label claims for the non-farming consumer
- Step-by-step color photos for beef, pork, lamb, and poultry butchery
- 100+ recipes for whole-animal cooking
- Culinary highlights: preparing difficult cuts, sauces, and extras
- Charcuterie, including history, general science, principles, and tooling up
- The economics and parameters for responsible meat production
Eating diversely may be the most revolutionary action we can take to ensure the sustainability of our food system. The Ethical Meat Handbook 2nd Edition challenges us to take a hard look at our dietary choices, increase self-reliance, and enjoy delicious food that benefits our health and our planet.
Praise for The Ethical Meat Handbook 2nd Edition
"Infused with global influences and first-hand wisdom, this book is sure to inspire independent eaters, seeders, and feeders to get the most out of their meat."
– Adam Danforth, James Beard Award winning butcher and educator
"This is a powerful, positive book about a powerful, positive alternative, engaging us in shaping a new food and agriculture narrative. [It] is a gem, a gift to everyone looking to be the alternative to a passive recipient of the status quo."
– Jean-Martin Fortier, author, The Market Gardener
About the Author
Meredith Leigh is a consultant, freelance writer, and thought leader in agriculture and food systems and has been working toward integrity in the food supply chain for 17 years. She lives with her family in Asheville, NC.